Friday, June 19, 2009

Kayaking on Our Final Day - Day 8

Sunday, June 14, 2009

So i didn't get much sleep last night. I think it was because it was our last night and I had a lot on my mind about making sure things were getting dried and packed. We had another early morning pickup since we were going on the Kayak tour so we all met for breakfast at 6:30. It was another gloomy, rainy day. At breakfast Joe and Andy asked if I had heard the rain last night. The AC unit in my room is so loud, never shuts off unless you turn it off so I can't hear anything but that. Apparently it got really bad out there. We were in for another rainy day.

The group of us got picked up by Lalii at about 7:45am. Joe and Andy were not joining Mel, Jim and I on the kayak tour as they were spending their time with Nick taking some lessons about underwater videography. So the three of us got our snorkel gear and were breifed my Lalii our kayak guide. Her and our boat captain, Jefferson, got our kayaks ready and we headed out about 15 minutes to Nikko Bay. It was looking like it was going to clear up but we soon realized after about 10 minutes of kayaking that we were going to get wet no matter what. We ducked under "Bugger Cave" while it downpored for about 15 minutes then continued to make our way along the rock islands to our first snorkel area. Lalii was chatting along about the birds, corals, rock islands and overall nature of Palau. She definitely liked to talk. It continued to rain off and on for the few hours we were kayaking and then took a break for our first snorkel area, Lettuce Wall. Because of the rain, the water had a lot of cold spots and very few warm spots so we didn't snorkle long. We finished up and got back on the boat for lunch. The storms were really rolling in so Jim, Mel and I decided to cut the tour short and head back. I was a bit bummed about the weather but still happy we got to get in some kayaking. We got back to Sam's and got a ride to the hotel so we could shower and change into some dry clothes. I got pretty much all of my packing done except for the stuff that got soaked earlier today. I left that out to dry and met up with the rest of the gang around 3pm to swing back to Sam's, have drinks and some dinner. I was hoping to see Siksei so he could sign my logbooks and i could say good buy but he didn't show up before we were ready to get back to the hotel and finish up anything we needed, get some rest and meet back up at 11pm for our ride to the airport. Only one flight leaves out of Koror, Palau which is at 1:45am. I am not looking forward to the trip home.



Jim and Melanie on our Kayak tour
Lalii giving us the tour in the rain
Pajama Cardinals schooling in a Porites coral
Lalii showing us a Dogface Pufferfish
a really pretty Nudibranch feeding off of Sponge
Melanie and Jim bracing the storm
Jason, our guide from last year, and myself

No comments: